Saturday, October 07, 2006

True colors of nature

I was watching a program about zebras on the Discovery Channel and My PUG was watching it with me. After minutes of staring at the TV he started barking like crazy at the screen. It was hilarious! Good boy Jagermeister! At least I know that if zebras decide to attack New Jersey my dog will let me know.
At the very end of the show, a zebra gives birth to an already dead colt. It was a sad ending indeed, but also a reminder that nature doesn't measure things from the "good and evil" point of view. It is about balance, and if one animal has to sacrifice its own life for the sake of the rest, then that life is worth a million.

That is the difference between the discovery channel and Animal Planet. The first one is for those who understand nature as a whole, beauty and beast, life and death. The later is for those who live their lives based on emotional attachments they mistakenly call love and seem to stay blind to the true forces of nature. At least that is my opinion.
We are educated to ignore the duality of nature, and while we would love to save every single animal there is we never stop to think if that is really the best for the species. Again, individuality prevails over the collective. That is why we fail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home