Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Train Rider

I sit there waiting for the iron box that takes me to NYC every day. Before you even see it, the hissing tracks announce its arrival; then the whistle. There is that smell when the train hits the breaks. Metal against metal, friction, hot air. The train is finally here.
I have learned to live with it, but I have not learned to love the ride. Thousands of people sitting next to each other, and yet we are all invisible. For some, the train is a place to take that last nap before reaching destination. Others use it as an office, talking on their cell phones, e-mailing from their computers. Others just love listening to music and disconnecting themselves from the world.
Sometimes I work, sometimes I sleep. But most of the time I think... and think. I think about the people that ride with me, where are they going. I think about the birds I see outside, swimming on that nasty water poluted with the residues of civilization. I think of how a country can deploy troops so fast when fighting a war on the other side of the planet, but takes so long to help the victims of a natural dissaster in its own backyard.
But mostly, in a good day when the sky is clear, I see the sunset reflected on the Raritan River, announcing that I am minutes away from home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gear Turner said...

Just wanted to leave a note for you...I truly enjoyed your blog. I am new to this whole blog thing, and was thrilled when someone left a comment for me. I started mine just to see what it was all about, and have found it to be some type of therapy (unspecified as of yet). I used the 'next blog' button out of curiosity, and stumbled across yours. Your use and flow of words kept me reading. I'm thankful to find someone else on here that actually uses their blog to write, instead of advertising. Thanks!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home